Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sometimes, the Backseat Driver Needs To Shut Up.

You know the stereotype. Husband in the driver seat, wife in the passenger, driving down the road. Husband is searching for the destination while the wife is whispering alternate routes under her breath loud enough for him to hear.

Yeah. We know.

And tonight, I found myself doing that to Jacob.

I couldn't believe it.

Jacob and I have a type of teamwork that is virtually flawless 99.8% of the time. Except when I get worried about something and I push him. And for that baby, I am so truly sorry. When I worry, I get pushy with things that probably don't need to be pushed, and sometimes it's exactly what needs to happen and it works out. But it's true. The Backseat Driver really does need to shut up. Jacob knows what he is doing a lot of the time, and I know this. It's just the controlling woman chromosome that kicks in and I have this overwhelming need to make sure it gets done so I push him. And I really need to just step back, take a deep breath, and let him drive. He knows what he is doing. And I love that he knows what he's doing. So why can't I just chill?

Oh, yeah, I'm a girl. And a very chilled out, laid back one at that. But sometimes I get that nervous twitch and my sweet man knows that A)He needs to just ignore it or B) Listen very closely cause I'm trying to help him out. He's normally really good at which one to do. I don't have loaded questions or phrases like a lot of my other female counterparts do, so that is not the problem. The problem is my overly bossy streak that shows up uninvited sometimes. He is amazing for being able to take whatever comes his way advice wise or anything else and interperate into what he needs for that moment in time. Sometimes he needs to be pushed. Sometimes I do, or you do, or even the Cat in the Hat does. He is human and so am I. I hate backseat driving, yet sometimes its so easy to slide into that and it frustrates me becasue he doesn't need it a lot.

Sometimes, I really really really need to just shut up, and let him do his thing. He WILL get it done. In his own time, and not everything is on Paige Time.

I love you, sweetheart. I'm sorry for backseat driving tonight and being pushy.

I am an EXTREMELY happy girl to have someone who will grab my hand and hold it, even if we get lost casue we didn't ask for directions, and wherever we end up, we are happy and have a new appreciation of back roads and middle of nowhere. Especially when you have the man who drives the Getaway Car<3

Thank you for this amazing crazy adventure we are on, I wouldn't want it any other way<3

What can we say? We fell into mutual weirdness and we call it love.

No comments:

Post a Comment